Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mama's Day Out

{We had to make up for lost time last night.}
I did it.

I took Finn to daycare yesterday.  On my day off.

Dang it I had stuff to do.  I had to go to the dentist (Don't get me started on how much I thoroughly dislike the dentist, which explains why I leave it for the end of the year.) and I had to get some shopping done - the Christmas and grocery kind - and it is just not conducive to productiveness to carry around a 16 lb wiggle worm when lists are involved.

So, I dropped him off to play with his pals and I headed to the torture session (yes, I really don't like going to the dentist even though he's a really nice man.  My mouth doesn't care.).  And then I procured a few new items for myself (read: no more maternity pants!!) and I picked up some Christmas presents and Christmas wrap and everything on my grocery list and I took my sweet. ass. time.

I was not at the mercy of someone fussing.  Or pooping his pants.  Or needing to be snuggled (in the middle of the ethnic food aisle of the grocery store).  I did not have to stuff my bag with baby toys, pacifiers, pacifier wipes, a bottle, formula, bottled water, diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, an extra bib and a blanket (I know, get a diaper bag right?  My purse actually fits all of that.  Don't judge).  Instead, I carried a huge purse with lots of extra room - and a ton less weight.  I was able to look at everything in Target.  I walked through the men's section.  Because I could. I haven't been missing much, actually, so it was kind of a waste of time.  But I had time to waste!  I was able to look at everything in Marshall's - and I didn't have to maneuver a cart in either store through tight aisles and around hordes of other Christmas shoppers.  And at the grocery store?  I did not drop one jar of salsa because there was a baby seat in the cart and I had to shove everything in the fold out seat for kids who are bigger than mine.  Not that I've ever done that.   Okay, yes, I've done that...salsa and shards of glass were all over the floor and my tennis-kicks.  And I was carrying Finn in his baby carry pouch and pushing a cart and feeding him at the same time because he was 13 seconds old and I figured, "Hey, look at me, world!  Just because I had a baby one minute ago doesn't mean I can't still multi-task!"  You should have seen the looks I got.  Clearly, I could not still multi-task. 

Lesson learned:  Feed baby or get groceries.  Do not do both at the same time.

So...yesterday I had a Mama's Day Out and I have two new pairs of pants, three new shirts and one ginormous bra to assuage the guilt of leaving my son at daycare when I should have snuggled him up next to me.  But, by God, it's good to be out of those maternity pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment