Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Write what you know.

Once upon a time (or about a year ago), I thought that blogging would be a good idea. Since I was about to get married, I decided I would wax poetic about all the things going on in my life. I had grandiose ideas to write about planning, being a step-mom and being a newly wed. I could write about living away from my family and my not-so-exciting-but-it-pays-the-bills job. I spent more time daydreaming about what I could write about than I actually spent writing. Oh, I tried to pick it up every now and again. I’d write an entry here and there, but it was nothing consistent.

I got married and it was beautiful and hectic and stressful and one of the happiest days of my life. And I didn’t write about it. Abby pulled some very interesting antics in the fifth grade that included passing notes and naughty words. I talked about it, but I didn’t write about it. Then I got pregnant and life got in the way. There was always and excuse not to write. It was snowing. I didn’t feel good. There was laundry to do. We were moving. I was getting stuff ready for the baby. And then the baby came and with him came some of the most beautiful and hectic and stressful moments…that I didn’t write about.

Since my Mama and my Dad live far away (580 miles, 9 hours and 3 states – but who’s getting technical?) I started sending them “Finn Updates” via email after Finn was born. I’d include pictures and little notes about what he’s doing and how he’s growing and then I’d add on what Abby’s doing and how her school is going and sometimes I’d even add in what Uriah and I were up to. And since I was sending the email to my Mama and my Dad, it was easy to include other family and friends in those updates, too.

Last week I got an email from my good friend Bees in response to the latest Finn update and she asked if I’d ever considered blogging? The idea was sparked again…but I took a couple of days to think about it. Could I do it? Could I make the commitment to write even once a week? After all, I was going back to work and Abby was back in school and my time was about to get stretched again. The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized that, technically, I’m already writing once a week in an email, and blogging is just a prettier way of sending it. Besides, my Mama always told me to write what I know, and what do I know better than my own little piece of the world?

And so, here it is…my commitment to myself to write at least once a week until the New Year. In January I will revisit this whole blogging thing and decide if I will keep going (provided I can keep writing). Until then, I’ve written it down for the Universe to see, so I feel as though I am accountable to myself to uphold my once-a-week posting. Feel free to hold me accountable, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment