Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Water conservation

Abby wastes so dang much time in the shower, you'd think she had a pet elephant in there that she needed to scrub from top to bottom nightly.  So, in an effort to be more green and less wasteful (and because sometimes I get annoyed and make up rules before I truly think them through) I told Abby that starting tonight she has 5 minutes worth of water-time in the shower.  That means that from the time she turns the water on, the clock starts ticking. 

5 minutes.

You can imagine how well that went over.  Like...well, like an elephant, to be perfectly honest.  Apparently there is a process of shampooing and conditioning and letting it work through her hair and face washing and leg shaving that goes on pretty much ever single night.  So I told her that one night a week she gets 10 minutes of shower time so that she can shave her legs (sweet Lord, this is what my life has come to!). 

And now that I'm truly thinking it through, Uriah and I can probably be a little bit more water conservative, too, since we are not the greenest family on the block.  If I'm asking Abby to limit her water usage, I should be able to, as well, so I'm limiting my own showers to 5 minutes of water time (however, if I don't shower every day, does that mean that I can save up my minutes to use later?  No, that's just going to get too complicated.  Better stick with a simple-stupid plan).  And even though I'd like to dictate to Uriah, as well, I'm not sure he'd be so...receptive to my request.  I might have to ease him into it.

I think I might have Abby do a report for me regarding water usage (or misusage) in America versus other countries - specifically countries that have very poor well systems.  I'm going to have to do some preliminary research and I'm not sure where to start or which countries have to worst water systems, so if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.  Sometimes it's good to have our eyes opened to what the rest of the world is suffering through; it might just make her 5 minute shower seem decadent.

2 comments:

  1. I know there is a lot of organizations and sites that try to help poor countries get clean water. Many people die because of it, either the water is not there or it is full of bacteria and other harmful critters that make them very ill. It is worse for children and babies. I tried to find some information for you of certain places I knew about but couldn't quite find it. I will keep looking.

    Another thing that drives me crazy are lawn sprinklers. I see those things going in people's yards or business' yards and I cringe. Think of all that perfectly good water being used to water grass. Sure you want your lawn to look nice but grass isn't feeding anyone (like watering a garden). Why can't more people keep rain barrels and use that water to water their grass if it's so important to them.

    Oh and Hummers... those things make me mad too! Ok ok I will stop ranting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tara! I knew I could count on you to help me get in the green! I told Abby last night that if we're not careful, there won't be a planet for her children or her grandchildren. And also, I hate hummers, too. They are road hogs and gas hogs!!

    ReplyDelete