Tuesday, April 19, 2011

These chubs were made for walking.


Last year at this time I was supposed to be counting kicks. 

Lazy Bones (and my ill-placed placenta), however, had other ideas.  He enjoyed snoozing during the day, wiggling around just as I was getting comfortable in bed and then snuggling his toes right up inside my ribcage for the rest of the night.  I spent more time on the baby monitor frustrating nurses left and right last spring.  I was in the doctor's office a couple of times a week, snacking on (gasp) regular Coke and m&m's in an effort to get this kid to wiggle around enough to be able to actually count his kicks. 

This spring, those legs have filled out into chubby delicousness.  They rock his little body back and forth, gearing up for approximately 3 scoots before he falls down on his belly, too tired to go any further.  When I stand him up on my lap, those twinkle toes dig into my thighs like daggers in an effort to bounce himself up and down.

I am constantly amazed at how extremely fast time is going.  I find myself wanting to slow it down because I'm sure that I must be missing something.  I have to be...I blink and he's eating real food and crawling.  I want to curl up with him and sneak some extra time away while I watch him change before my eyes.  Soon those little legs will be walking all over the house...and then the back yard and then down the street to the playground.  And not too long after that, those little legs are going to walk that little body out of my arms and onto the school bus.

Today, though...today those little legs are just walking all over my heart.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this post...and the picture! Yummy leg rolls. Junior's getting little kid legs now. We're down to one good roll, and they're so straight! He doesn't walk anymore...he runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather - you have such a way with words - you should be publishing your work professionally. Treasure these moments when Finn is small - because they grow up way too fast. It's hard to even remember all those little things about my boys, until I read what you write, and then it comes flooding back. Oh those sweet memories!
    Have a Happy Easter!!!!!! Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sam...snack on that last roll until it's gone!

    Stacie...I was having a day (and not a good one!), but reading your sweet comment just made my day so much better! Happy Easter to you, too!

    ReplyDelete