Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

In high school, Memorial Day meant the beginning of the end of the school year.  In college, it meant a short, one day reprieve from work before summer session started.  For the past few years, it has meant a long weekend to travel home. 

This year, though, we are truly a military family.  Yesterday, I walked Finn and Abby up the street to our Memorial Day Ceremony.  A local man shared his thoughts about what it means to be a soldier,  and even if that soldier fought in World War II, it gave me hope that their is a good life to be had after a war because it's not so much the fighting that I'm worried about; Daniel has a good eye, a solid head, and a steady finger.  It's the after that I'm worried about (I do too much reading and there was an Oprah episode in February about soldiers after they came home that I just can't seem to shake from my subconscious).  But the man who spoke yesterday was positive and he had funny war stories to share and most importantly, he and his wife celebrated their 68th wedding anniversary over the weekend. 

I wish I had gotten a better picture, but our little town, along with the little towns around us, place a flag on the courthouse lawn for every local veteran who has died.  This year they added 20 new flags. 

The 21-gun salute did, in fact, choke me up a bit.  And taps pushed me right over the edge.  But for someone who can't stand the noise of the food processor, Finn didn't even flinch when those guns went off.

Is there anything better than a man in uniform?  I mean really...that Marine in the center?  So crisp, so stoic...so...military.

I love high school bands.  I know that there's a stigma of being a "band geek," and kids can be so mean, but I really had fun being in marching band - in spite of the heat and the questionable uniforms.  I could see Abby's eyes glaze over when the flag twirlers went past.  I think she wants to be one.

 Oh, the Girl Scouts...is it really a parade if the Girl Scouts aren't in on the action?

And the Boy Scouts...following in the wake of the Girl Scouts.  It's because their camps aren't as cool and you don't see people lining up every year to buy Boy Scout Cookies, do you?  I think I've made my point.

I didn't notice until after I was home and going through my pictures, but this fire truck has the Minnesota National Guard Red Bull flag on it...maybe because the Minnesota border is approximately thirteen and a half seconds away?  I'm going to have to look into it...  

This old man was even cooler than the Shriners and their little go-carts; and I think he got more applause.  I kept wanting to ask him, "Where will you go in your Hoveround?"

Shortly after this picture, Abby asked if she could follow the parade the rest of the route. I think she just wanted to watch the flag twirlers.  Finn fell asleep in his stroller during the 2 block walk home.  I think he was dreaming about a Hoveround.  And I worked in my garden. 

I was thinking about my brother.

1 comment:

  1. Cool pics. I'll include your brother in my prayers tonight. May he stay safe and come home to a great life. I was talking to Andy's grandpa (87) this weekend. He served in the Pacific during WW2 - his was the only ship that didn't sustain any damage during it's entire engagement. He had a lot of good stories about his time in service. He then came home, got married, had a successful career, had three kids, now is retired and has 8 grandchildren. He's had a good life :) I know Dan will too!

    ReplyDelete