Thursday, June 23, 2011

Iowa is the new Pacific Northwest

We have had rain and thunderstorms for the past week.  And clouds and cool winds and no beach time and no sunshine and no damn summer.

On Monday morning, I laid in bed, in the half light of early morning, unable to sleep, listening to the wind blow the rain hard against our windows.  Finn slept through the storm, but decided that 6:30 would be a good time to cock-a-doodle-doo.  You know...right after the thunder stopped and the rain was but  a gentle tinkle on the windows.  Right about the time that we thought we'd go back to sleep for at least another half an hour.  We were just drifting off when the alarm sounded over the baby monitor:  "Dadadadadadada!"  Totally not my page, so I turned over and let the "Dada" take care of it.  Monday night I had two bags by the basement door in case we needed to make a run for cover.  On Tuesday, Finn and I got our walk in really quickly in the morning before it started to rain again, but it was a humid walk, the remnants of the rain simmering on the sidewalk and both of us had some curly hair when we got home.  It rained again all the afternoon long, but cleared up enough in the evening for Abby to go to work for a couple of hours.

Yesterday it rained again, almost all day, and it was chilly.  I dressed Finn in courdory pants and a long sleeved shirt; today he's in longsleeves and pants again.  Abby lost her library priviledges this week, so she is all up in my business with her, "I'm bored" and "What should I do?"  It's hard to bite my tongue and tell her that she brought this on herself, but I really do feel like I'm the one being punished right now.  Uriah felt the need to turn on the heat this morning (for the love of everything holy, just put on a damn sweatshirt and quit complaining!).  Needless to say, I have since turned it off.  I am determined to bundle up the baby this afternoon after his nap and explore a new walking trail with my camera.  I have to get out of this house or I may go slowly insane.
Anyway, that's what I've been up to.  I thought you might enjoy a little bit of our Father's Day celebration from Sunday after Uriah got home from work (and before he made his own Father's Day dinner).   He was the Dad of the Year, in this house at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment