Saturday, August 13, 2011

The shopping trip.

The task of going back-to-school shopping loomed heavy in front of us this week, but my Mom invited us home, or maybe I invited myself, either way, suddenly I was just...calm.  Well, maybe not totally clam, but more calm than when I thought about embarking on a huge shopping trip - the nearest mall is an hour and a half away - with just the two kids.  Uriah is working like a crazy person, so time off, when he has it, is best spent doing fun stuff together and I don't think back-to-school shopping with an 11 year old and a 1 year old qualifies as "fun."  It was much easier to drive 3 hours and have Mom and Sarah help me keep my sanity.


Abby was a good shopper, she didn't try on anything too inappropriate (although I did tell Uriah that sometimes she has the fashion style of a slutty 80 year old lady - lots of lace in inappropriate spots, some crochet and even a shapeless cowl neck sweater that was made for old ladies, but would reveal too much elderly cleavage.  It was rough going for a minute.).   Mostly it was so nice that we had more than just the Wals-mart to choose from for shopping options.  Sarah came along mostly to help lead Abby along a better, more age-appropriate fashion path (because we all know I'm partial to yoga pants and cardigan sweaters.  Hell, I bought shorts this summer for the first time since 1993.  Seriously.).  And it was nice that I had my mom to remind me that this is not forever - the eye-rolling, the heavy sighing - the whole-tween-attitude-package is not forever.  I repeat that to myself daily.


Abby wasn't too excited when I made her pose with the cardboard cut-out of Justin Bieber at the mall (there was lots of eye rolling and heavy sighing), but I think that was more for show.  It will be "so totally awesome" to have this glorious picture hanging on her locker door for her entire 7th grade year.  And if not, I'm having one made to hang on the refrigerator.

Countdown to the first day of school: 16 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment