Thursday, February 23, 2012

This week's weight loss brought to you by chip dip.


Okay.  So, results at this week's weigh-in are mixed.

Yes, I did get in my 3 work-outs (Yeah! And 3 more for next week.) but I realize that I was also counter balancing some weekend cocktails.  And my mom's chip dip.  And chocolate covered espresso beans (those things are crack-cocaine!).  I did loose some weight - not a lot and better than going in the other direction.  However, the lesson that I've taken away from this is to work out before I hit the weekend hard - and after, too.  But, I believe that the pre-planning is essential.  I think I could have lost a little bit more if I had just gotten my lazy bum in gear last week.

Let me tell you, for just one minute, about my mom's chip dip - aptly titled, Clara Dip.  It has cheese and black olives and guacamole and some other stuff that I can't remember right now (or just can't type because I'm drooling just thinking about that dip!).  It is happiness on a chip.  I ate a lot of it over the weekend.  I will neither confrim nor deny that I scooped it onto a spoon and ate it without a chip. 

However, happiness on a chip means layers on my hips (yes, I did just type that.).  Instead of your go-to guacamole dip or Seven-Layer Mexican Dip or even my own mother's sainted Clara Dip, try Avocado-Bean Guacamole next time you need some chips and dip.  It really does taste like guacamole and you'd never know that there is only one avocado in there and the rest of the dippy bulk is made up from a can of white beans.  And instead of eating chips, I've discovered Chip'ins, which are popcorn-type chips.  They taste like honest-to-goodness real chips.  But healthier.

And I like healthier these days.  I totally feel good about eating this dip while looking through the Victoria's Secret Swim Suit catalog that came this week.  And I promise, next year I am going to buy one of those swimming suits.

  • ½ cup minced red onion
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 15 oz. white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 medium avocado, peeled and chopped
  • ¼ cup plum tomatoes, finely diced
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • ½ teaspoon table salt
  • ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • ¼ teaspoon cumin

Put everything in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until blended.  Transfer to a serving dish, covered, until ready to serve.

Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers.
Makes about 2 cups total; approximately 8 servings. 



Thankfuls:
4. The world-wide interweb for fixing my baby.
5. Nurse-help lines.
6. Cinnamon-Raisin Bread

1 comment: