Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Window to the world.


Today is probably our last day in the 80s this year (allegedly).  Finn and I need to get our walk in before we melt (we've very much gotten used to the high sixties, low seventies these past few weeks).  I will probably pack away the 24 month-2T shorts this evening after bath time; we've already pulled out the flannel jammies and I need to invest in a few more with feet.  Long live the art of layering!  The trees are starting to change over to their reds and oranges and yellows and each day there are more leaves blanketing the sidewalks.  It gets chilly in the evening and I've relocated Finn's sweatshirts downstairs for a quick grab as we take our walk after dinner when the evening cools off.

Uriah told me this morning, as he looked out our kitchen window, that our yard is full of boy.  And it's true.  Tricycles that double as motorcycles line the sidewalk.  Trucks and diggers build a construction site in the remnants of my garden and there is an assortment of balls strewn about the yard.  I wonder what he thinks, when he plays and talks to himself and bounces from one thing to the next.  I think he is just the most awesome kid ever.

Abby has her first volleyball game this week and every morning I can smell her perfume wafting up the stairs as she beats a hasty exit to the bus stop.  I wonder if there is a boy she's trying to impress with all that smelly stuff?  I volunteered to teach 7th and 8th grade religion this year - they call it church school up here - Abby's class.  I'm hoping for it to be a bonding experience between her and I, but every teacher that I spoke with on Sunday was sure to tell me good luck.  Sounds a bit ominous, if you ask me.  I also feel as though I'm questioning my own religion and whether or not I'm truly qualified to guide these kids.  I'm doubtful, but I will give it my best go.

Today is my best boy's birthday.
Happy 5th, Pal - you're the bestest nephew a girl could ask for and I miss you bunches!



5 comments:

  1. He gives us what we need. I so firmly believe that. Enjoy the day today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty shot. I love how the yellow glass was lit by the sun, and the sun coming in.
    I am going to do here what you are doing with your 2T clothes. What a ritual. :-)
    I am hopping from You Capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay positive about teaching! Never doubt yourself and don't worry about what the other teachers say.

    Is your daughter excited about you teaching?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely capture.
    I agree - don't doubt yourself. If you feel you're being led to teach and this is there for you, then you should seize it. Who cares what all the others are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great capture love the sun flare.

    ReplyDelete