Friday, December 7, 2012

The Best Christmas {song list} ever.

Once, a long time ago, my sister and I found ourselves home alone for Christmas.  Our parents had headed south to celebrate in Kansas City, and I had to work around that holiday, so I didn't have the time off.  I'm not sure if Emily had to work, too, or if she just chose to stay back with me so I wouldn't be all alone (cue sad music here for poor me.).  At any rate, we had, quite possible the best Christmas ever*.  We pulled out the sofa bed in the living room and proceeded to watch every Christmas movie we owned.  We made steak and lobster for our Christmas dinner.  We did not get out of our jammies.

And we created, arguably,  the best Christmas mixed tape ever.  Okay, fine.  It was a CD - it was 2005 after all, but a mixed tape sounds so much better!  It is a CD that I look forward to pulling out every year, although this year it is starting to show some wear (some of the songs are skipping; I think the disk has been compromised   You can really cue the sad music here!) but we still listen to it; Finn and I dance to it almost every evening as we make dinner.

  • Mele Kalikimaka - Bing Crosby
  • Santa Baby - Ertha Kitt
  • Oh, Holy Night - Celine Dion
  • Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Jessica Simpson
  • Merry Christmas/Cannon in D - Trans Siberian Orchestra
  • Home for the Holidays - Perry Como
  • Charlie Brown Christmas
  • It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas - Bing Crosby
  • Winter Wonderland - The Carpenters
  • Baby It's Cold Outside - Zooey Deschanel & Leon Redbone
  • Where are you Christmas - Faith Hill
  • Merry Christmas, Darling - The Carpenters
  • Hanukkah Song - Adam Sandler
  • White Christmas - Home Alone version
  • Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
  • All I want for Christmas is You - Mariah Carey
  • White Christmas - Bing Crosby
  • It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas - Alvin & the Chipmunks

Now, obviously some songs are repeated, but it's the entertainers that make the song - Alvin & the Chipmunks version of It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas is just as awesome as Bing's!  And I challenge you to judge Celine Dion's Oh, Holy Night.  I would add Dolly Parton's Hard Candy Christmas and I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas by Gayla Peevey.  

What's your favorite Christmas song?  Is there something you look forward to hearing every year that I can add to my play list?

And also, here are my kids, since I know some of you (side eye to my sister) only come here to see them.  They are weird.  I thought I'd share their weirdness with you to get you through the weekend.  



We're going to make some Christmas cookies, listen to our Christmas songs and hunker in for a big old-fashioned snowstorm that is (allegedly) headed our way this weekend.  Abby's birthday is Monday.  She's going to be thirteen.  You will probably find me hiding under my covers for the next 6 years, but only after I write about the previous 5 years that I've shared with her.  You can see it here on Monday - or, as Abby likes to call it - AbbyDay.



*This year might be the best Christmas ever if new Baby Cousin shows up before Jesus' big day...

No comments:

Post a Comment