Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Why isn't every day a special occasion?

ok.
{ source }
I got up this morning with my regular sloth-like energy (I really am not a morning person).  Finn managed to sleep in his own bed until 6:30 (praise the Lord) and then he snuggled into "our" bed and proceeded to sleep for another 45 minutes or so.  By 7:15 he  was wiggly, by 7:30 he was all: "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Let's go downstairs and have some breakfast together!"  

I need to change the delay time on my coffee maker.  To earlier.  I tried to convince Finn that we couldn't go downstairs until we smelled the coffee (it's set for 7:50).  He insisted he could smell the coffee (it was 7:32).  The day had begun.

We ate breakfast, two bowls of cereal for him, an egg supplemented mostly by coffee for me, and then we headed back upstairs to get dressed and face the day.  I've started to let Finn pick out his own outfit in the morning (pants and shirt, socks and underwear) in an effort to make getting dressed go a little quicker and smoother. The boy would lounge around in just his undies all day long if I let him (some days I do). But it's cold here, so I try to get him dressed quickly. Today I let him lounge a bit. He read stories and played cars and by the time his feet felt like little toe-sickles, I decided it was time to get dressed. Which meant me, too.

As I was standing in my closet, debating between another day of leggings and a sweatshirt, or yoga pants and a sweatshirt, it occurred to me that I really haven't dressed in anything but the above two options for weeks. Maybe (probably) longer.  When I do leave the house it either to a) pick up Abby from school- no one sees me. b) run to the grocery store - hat, mittens, big puffy jacket. c) walk to the library - hat, mittens, big puffy jacket.  If my hair is in a pony 12 days in a row, I'm not really bothered because, well - nobody sees it.

But this morning, as I debated my wardrobe options, it dawned on me that people do see me - important people. Those 3 people see me every single day and I wondered, aren't they worth getting dressed up for? Isn't it just as important to look put together and alive, ready to tackle whatever the day may throw at us, even if the only thing the day is going to throw at us is trains and playdough? Besides that, I'm pretty sure my husband would like to see me in something other than black yogas or black leggings or sweatshirts. Loungey and lazy is ok once in awhile, but I do have hair that doesn't require a 24/7 pony, I do own mascara and I have clothes that are not completely made of stretchy cotton.

So this morning I showered, I shaved my legs, I put on a dress and I curled my hair. I am wearing make-up. I put on my fancy perfume and some jewelry. It is Tuesday and we are going nowhere. My husband is working late and my dinner dates are 13 and 2. We are going to eat off of the wedding china tonight and I will warm up a plate for Uriah when he gets home. Today is special, it doesn't need a grand occasion to give it reason, purpose, or substance. Today. Is. Special.

This year I plan to make more of our ordinary days a special occasion.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!! And I love you! You have inspired me to try to get more dressed up. Wearing scrubs and tennis shoes everyday usually also means my hair is in a pony and I'm wearing no make up. Tomorrow I will wear my hair down, put on some makeup, and throw on a necklace. Thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Heather Post... YOU ROCK!!! You sound like an amazing mother and spectacular wife! I love you!
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete