Thursday, September 16, 2010

There's no place like home.

We are back in the South.

As much as I would have enjoyed an additional billion days at home with my Mama and my Dad, Finn and I slipped quietly and easily back into our world last night. I unpacked all of our stuff - and babies travel with quite a bit of stuff, I might add - while Finn and Uriah reacquainted themselves with each other again. For one brief moment, I think that Finn may have forgotten who his Daddy was because he took one look at Uriah and let out the loudest cry. Uriah had such a look of horror on his face, it actually took my breath away. I quickly took Finn back and snuggled him for a few minutes and calmed him down and assured him that he knew who his Daddy was, and then I assured Uriah that Finn had not forgotten him. I gave the baby back and they have been inseparable since.

Uriah fed him and talked to him and soothed him and rocked him to sleep and got up with him both times last night. He fed him this morning and took him to daycare. I know that he is counting the hours until his day is done so he can come home and snuggle with the baby some more. I can't blame him. I really debated whether or not a long car ride would be in Finn's best interest when we were figuring out weekend plans, but I was loath to leave him behind. My arms would not allow it. And while I felt bad taking Finn so far away without his Dad, I tried to keep Uriah updated with text pictures. I even tried the video setting on my phone so that he could hear Finn making noises, but it makes for a pretty blurry picture. I'm sure it will happen again that Finn and I (and maybe even Abby, too) have time to take a trip up North and Uriah can't be with us. I'm a little more confident in my single-parenting skills now!

There might even be a time that I take a trip without Finn. You know, like when he goes to college or on his honeymoon...

No comments:

Post a Comment