Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday with Finn

It was a week this week.  It seemed as though work was full of patients who felt like taking their own frustrations out on me.  I, in turn, took my frustrations out on my SuperHusband, who would not allow me to pick a fight with him.  I have faults...I'm working on them, and one fault is that sometimes I just like to have a good argument.  I think it comes from growing up in a big family with a small house (one bathroom for 7 people?  Tell me that's not asking for a fight!); we used to argue a lot.  And loudly.  Uriah does not like to argue and will not give in to my baiting.  Ever.  Which frustrates me even more.  But, we kissed and made up and moved on with our lives.  Maybe I need to join an Adult Debate Club to get my argument fix.  Or go to law school.
Anyway...it turned from fall earlier this week to Indian Summer.  It's going to be up in the 80s this weekend, so Finn will not need his super cute new hat (courtesy of Auntie Emmers).  He's still sleeping through the night and a couple of morning this week, I actually had to wake him up to take him to daycare.  He's pretty good about being rudely taken from dreamland, although I try to ease him into it as gently as possible.  He smiles when he sees me, he's happy while I change him and he eats his breakfast like a good boy while we watch Good Morning America.  Then he proceeds to fall asleep in the car on the way to daycare.
We played outside for the first time this week.  Summer here is too hot to play with a baby in the back yard, but now that it's cooler, we were able to actually play outside instead of just looking at it from the windows.  Finn had his first taste of grass and it tickled his little fingers, but he liked looking up at the clouds and he jabbered a lot at his new surroundings.
Finn has been working on sitting up.  His head is still pretty heavy for his little body, but his neck is getting stronger every day and he's able to hold it up a little bit longer every day. 
He was finally able to get his thumb in his mouth and keep it there this week.  This has been an on-going challenge for him; when I was pregnant the ultrasound tech told us we'd have a thumb sucker and somewhere I have the picture that shows him sucking his thumb while he was still on the inside, but once he came out, his hands were too jerky to keep his little thumb in his mouth.  It frustrates him to no end.  I like that he's finally able to self-sooth.  We tried the pacifier, and it works sometimes, but more often than not he spits it out and then I'm stuck trying to figure out where he had it last and then crawling on the floor to find it.  
This is what Finn looks like most mornings when we go in to get him.  He's scooted up to the corner of his crib and he talks to his hanging animals.  And then he sees us and it's like his world is complete; he smiles and talks to us and his arms wave around and his legs kick.  He doesn't care about stupid people at work or picking a fight or arguing over stupid stuff.  He's completely innocent of all things stressful.  And that helps me to put my day in perspective and start it off on the right foot.  

He's my happy pill.  Happy Baby really does make for a happy Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment