Friday, December 17, 2010

Curl up and dye (or die, you decide).


Abby is convinced...and I mean CONVINCED...that she can cut her own hair.  Not only that, but she is positive that she can cut hair well...as evidenced by the hair cut that the neighbor girl got last weekend courtesy of Abby's Clip 'N Curl. 

I'm pretty sure she thinks that she is Paul Mitchell's daughter.

Sometimes (all the time) when I get frustrated and my buttons are not just being pushed, they are being jabbed. really. really. hard., I say things that I wouldn't normally even consider.  Last night was one of those nights and I think I may have told her to go ahead and cut her own hair, but that if it didn't turn out (pretty certain that cutting hair with a dull craft scissor is a recipe for disaster) she was stuck with it until it grew out.  Not only that, but I also told her that she would not be able to be seen in public with us until it grew out.  Nothing I was saying was getting through to her - not that fact that I was certain it would not turn out ("How the heck are you going to cut the back evenly?" I asked her.  "Don't worry about it," she replied - again with the eye rolling!); certainly not the fact that people who cut hair for a living actually go to school to learn how to do it.  I told her cutting human hair was not the same as practicing on Polly Pockets and she sure as heck could not practice on the neighbor girl ever again. 

She just looked at me like I was a huge moron, rolled her eyes and restated that she could definitely cut her own hair, stuck her hand on her sassy hip and said, "What if, Heather, what if it turns out great?  Then what?" 

WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT?!

So...HELP!  Should I let her cut her own hair (and learn her lesson the hard way)?  Leave a comment; it may help to talk me off of this ledge that I'm teetering on...because I'm just annoyed enough to let her go ahead and do it... 

2 comments:

  1. No way! I think you are right, despite her attitude, and you are in charge. That is why we have parents, to keep us from doing what we want when they know it won't end well. Your experience is greater than hers, and therefore, you win. :) If she wants a fantastic do, pick one out and take her to get it done as a compromise? Or set up a day she can "job-shadow" with a hair salon, so that she can see learn how much experience and effort goes into a good haircut!! Good luck Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How old is she? I think I would let her. It will be one of those experiences that she will NEVER forget...if it turns out great then wonderful she will have a new budding career, if not...well she gets a cute pixie cut. (I have that and love it btw) If and when it doesn't turn out you will have greater pull in the future when you say, "I don't feel that would be a wise choice." Really you are teaching her to make good choices. It is way better to have her try out doing her own hair than tattooing. What do you think? I highly doubt she would want to do it again...I would lay it out there and tell that her hair cut would look like mine if she doesn't like her own cut. Besides - I bet she has taken that scissors and cut little bits off without you knowing it. Just saying...I once was young too!

    ReplyDelete