Monday, December 6, 2010

Hello, Monday...

So.  It's Monday.

After a full-on weekend of family and cooking and birthday parties and getting the baby holy, Monday showed up this morning with the alarming speed of a freight train.

Evidently, Abby was operating in slow-mode this morning, even though Uriah made breakfast for her.  She was standing in front of the tv in her bare feet with her shirt un-tucked watching The Today Show and grass grow when Uriah reminded her that the bus would be coming and she needed to head outside in about 5 minutes to meet it.  Commence a flurry of activity and wails of, "I am going to be so late!"  It was 19 degrees this morning but we had to remind Abby to zip up her coat and put on a hat even though she looks at the temperature gauge every morning and comments on how warm/cold it is outside

Finn threw up on me and himself, so just as we were about to walk out the door, both of us required a shirt change.  Then he fell asleep in the car on the way to daycare (puking on yourself is exhausting.) and I felt so bad waking him up to take him from the warm car into the cold.  Talk about a jarring wake up!

I dropped the baby off and got to work with minimal traffic delays.  My desk was a little full from leaving early on Friday...the schedule was a lot full.  In the middle of juggling it all, I got a phone call from the school nurse.  Abby, apparently, was feeling "crampy and dizzy."  So the nurse gave her some pain reliever but left me a message asking that I call her back to "discuss what else to do." 

You have got to be kidding me. 

Abby has this habit of visiting the nurse when she needs some extra attention.  It is an on-going battle.  When she first moved in with us, we had to sit her down, after multiple phone calls in one week from the nurse, to tell her she could only go to the nurse if she was bleeding and needed to go to the hospital.  Or if she broke a bone.  Or if she threw up.  Otherwise, the nurse's office was off-limits.  Today I figured Abby just needed to eat lunch (considering it was noon when I got the phone call).  Luckily (and I say that sarcastically)  she and the nurse figured out what her "problem" was....she has gym before lunch and she eats during the last lunch period, so it's a really long time between breakfast and lunch, and they figured that she was probably just hungry.  Really?  However, Abby went on to tell the nurse that she feels dizzy every single day.  And it just happens to be during gym class (her least favorite class, surprisingly enough). So the nurse told her to come to her office any time she feels dizzy, for a carton of milk.  I see this going terribly wrong for the nurse.

I'm going to have to nip this in the bud.

I told Abby to eat lunch and when she gets home this afternoon, to take it easy and rest.  Then I called Uriah and told him that raising a girl is hard work and I need a raise.

No comments:

Post a Comment