Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pug nosed babies and losers

Yesterday I had big plans...I was going to start my spring cleaning.  

What?  It's not spring yet? 

Too bad.  I have this entire house to get through by spring.  It's part of my New Year's resolution to simplify and be more organized.  Finn's room is full of random stuff leftover from when we moved...almost an entire year ago...you know, before he was even born; some of the stuff hanging out in his room isn't even his!  And I need to make my work-space a little bit more workable (right now it's a catch-all for everything I don't have the time/energy to find a home for or shred or toss).  And that means that my work space probably can no longer be housed in a room full of baby toys and baby clothes and even though the sweet smell of baby is intoxicating, it means that I don't get much done when I'm in there aside from snacking on those baby cheeks.

However...these big plans were made before Finn started sounding like a pug again; before he and I had a somewhat non-restful night sitting up on the couch because every time he tried to breathe he woke himself up.  And every time he woke himself up, he also woke his mama up.  And there is nothing worse than having an unhappy, un-rested baby.  Or an unhappy, un-rested mama.

So, instead of taking him to daycare like I had planned so that I could bust by buns cleaning, we slept off and on until 6 in the morning, when I laid him back in his crib for an hour, and then we had breakfast and played until exhaustion took over and we both took a morning nap for 2 hours.

I did accomplish a couple of things...I got a menu planned for the week, made chicken stock (homemade chicken stock using the whole chicken I roasted off on Sunday.  My house smelled amazing and I think Finn feels better just from inhaling the healing powers of chicken stock!) and then I used that to make chicken tortilla soup (awesome, if I do say so myself).  I talked with the doctor's office and the insurance people FOR 45 MINUTES (I deal with insurance daily.  I know my shit.  I know my benefits and I know my kid's benefits.  You cannot get anything by me.  And you certainly cannot tell me that paying for my child's immunizations and well-child exam is going to be my responsibility.  I will be up in your business until you get it figured out.) So I was a little bit productive - just not as productive as I wanted to be.

I watched the season premier of The Biggest Loser last night and decided that I want to be a loser, too!  So, after I had a mild (some husbands would say major?) melt-down, Uriah blew up my big old exercise ball, I plotted out a running route and I have a plan.  


I am done talking about it.  I'm doing it.  And if public humiliations is what it takes to kick my butt in gear, I may just post my weight, too.  Seems to work for The Biggest Loser, after all. 

1 comment:

  1. I love The Biggest Loser. It is really inspiring while I am watching it but then that goes away pretty fast once I try to put my inspiration into action. But I am also trying to do a Biggest Loser type thing where I have weekly weigh-ins and keep track and I share my weight with Landon which is pretty horrifying to do but it helps. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete