Saturday, January 8, 2011

The healing power of brownies

{Uriah & Finneaus | 1.7.11}
I am sick.

I got that stupid flu shot and I'm telling you what...I'm not sure that it works.  Actually, I probably got these grody germs from the pug-nosed baby who has been sleeping with a pillow under his mattress for the past week to help prop him up so that he can breathe easier (it's either that or sleeping on the couch with the mama - and even then there is no rest for the weary.).

I am miserable.  I am sneezy.  I am stuffy.  My nose is so red I look like I've been hitting the bottle daily for the past 12 years. 

And Finn is a big boy.  He can hold his own bottle now and he has been having one "meal" a day of rice cereal for the past two weeks.  He opens his mouth when the spoon comes near him and he's gotten to the point where more cereal makes it into his belly than onto his clothes.  My baby boy is growing up faster than I even thought possible (even though everyone told me that it would go quickly, so I feel like I was at least prepared.  It's too fast, though!)


So, to make up for the sickies and the big babies and the fact that Abby has started choir and wants to regal us nightly with her latest singing lesson, I made brownies.  Well, I made them Sunday, but I have been benefiting from their healing power all week long.  

Nose stuffy?  Eat a brownie.  
Abby's singing the same song for the 342nd time?  Enjoy it with a brownie.
Finn's driving himself to daycare?  Finish off the pan.
 

Farm Stand Brownies
Bon Appetite Magazine
Makes 9

1 ¾ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup (1 stick) butter
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon vanilla

¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
scant 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
2 large eggs
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line an 8” square metal baking pan with foil; generously butter the foil.  Place chocolate and butter in medium saucepan.  Stir constantly over medium-low heat until melted and smooth.  Add espresso powder and vanilla; stir to blend.  Cool 15 minutes.

Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.  Add walnuts; toss to coat.  Whisk eggs and sugar in a large bowl just to blend.  Add chocolate mixture; stir just until blended.  Add flour mixture; to chocolate mixture; stir just to blend.  Pour into prepared pan.

Bake brownies until tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs still attatched, about 25-35 minutes.  Cool brownies completely in pan.  Cover and chill 6 hours.  Invert brownies and peel off foil.  Cut brownies into 9 squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment