Monday, February 14, 2011

Love

Do you know what I love most about this picture?  (Besides the fact that Abby is looking at Finn's tooth and Finn is looking at Abby like she is WonderWoman, I mean).  I love Finn's little hand on Abby's shoulder.  Before I was ever even pregnant, Abby asked me what she was supposed to call her future siblings.  I was confused and asked her to clarify.  She said: half brother or sister...step brother or sister?  I said how about just brother or sister.  Because really, the term "half" doesn't apply to these two.  They love each other wholly and completely and know only that one will be there for the other - all of the time, not just half of the time - that's what brothers and sisters do.  I couldn't ask for anything more for these two. 

Six months ago, I was a hot mess.  I had no idea what to do with this squirming, squalling baby boy whom I was suddenly entrusted with to keep alive.  Over the days and weeks and months, he has become my best boy, my morning sunshine and my evening prayer.  Never in my life did I think that my heart could feel like this.

They say that love is unconditional, but ours most definitely has conditions.  We are required to put the toilet seat down - at. all. times.  There is no going to bed angry.  We cannot both be in a funk at the same time - one must always be the cheerleader for the other based on who is the funkiest.  We are required to make each other laugh daily.  If we are stopped at a red light, we have to kiss.  We must constantly dream big dreams for our littles.  Most importantly, though, we are required to grow old together. 

I hope your day is as full of love as mine is...

No comments:

Post a Comment