Monday, February 7, 2011

Scenes from Storm-Ageddon

I finally got around to taking pictures off of my camera last night.  It's kind of a chore...my OCD tendancies kick into high gear and I have to file everything on the computer a certain way.  It looks a little something like this:

File Folder #1: Heather's Pics
Sub Folder #2: 2011
Sub Folder #3:  Whatever the title is (for example, Storm-Ageddon 01-31-11) 

And then the pictures get uploaded.  Sometimes File Folder #3 will have another sub-folder.  For example, if I get pictures from Emily's camera or Dad's, I will then name that sub folder, Emily's Pics or if I have altered pictures, I put them in a sub folder titled Edits.  It's not rocket science, but it's my way of keeping track of where everything is.  Uriah poo-poos my time-consuming method but I have pictures organized this way on our computer starting in 2007 and it is easy to go back in and find something by date or by event, rather than searching through every picture for a certain year.  I also back up all of my pictures on CDs and they will soon make their way into a fire-proof lock box for safe keeping (I say soon because I haven't gotten said box yet).

I've also started deleting the pictures off of my camera once I successfully upload them into their file.  After Finn was born, I did not delete one picture off of my camera for about 4 months...I was afraid that I was going to lose something or the computer would crash or the CDs would disintegrate into a fine blue powder.  I had to continually scroll through hundreds of pictures (no lie...hundreds...I think I bought the biggest memory card I could find!) just to find what I was looking for or to show someone something. 

Did it matter that I had uploaded those pictures onto the computer? 
No. 
Did it matter that I double and triple checked to make sure I got every single picture off the camera and into a file? 
No. 
Did it matter that the pictures were backed up on disks? 
No. 

I wish I could blame the hormones, but I'm six months removed from all that craziness and I'm still double and triple checking to make sure I got everything off the camera and I'm still holding my breath when I hit the delete all pictures on the camera button.  And, if we're being honest, I did the same thing before I got pregnant.

So now I'm caught up on my picture dumping and my camera is clean and ready for some Valentine's pics of the kiddos, (which needs to happen tonight so I can make cards tomorrow...).  And it's supposed to snow again tomorrow, so I may have to share yet another day off with kids underfoot and not getting to the grocery store and laundry taking 4 times as long as it should. 

Before the next round starts, though, here are some pictures of Storm-Ageddon 2011.  We did not have a bowl-off.  We did, however, shovel the drive and stay in our jams all day and watch movies and shovel the drive some more and eat popcorn and make home-made soup and shovel the drive again and over-all enjoy being stuck in our own little hidey-hole while the world quietly turned white around us.





 
Here's to hoping your Monday is snow-free and this week brings minimal traffic and school delays!

No comments:

Post a Comment