Sunday, August 28, 2011

Spicy Thai Noodles


If I miss one thing about Kansas City, it would be the easily accessible good food - and good food options - that a big city has to offer.  Uriah and I went out to dinner a couple of nights ago, and while we both had good meals - he had duck and I had lamb, and they were both amazing - we found ourselves listing the places to eat in Kansas City that we missed.  We also talked about the places that we didn't get a chance to try when we lived there.  And, subsequently, we found ourselves making a list of the places we'd like to go back to when we visit.  At the top of the list for me will be Thai Place in Westport.  I have had such a craving for their King & Anne chicken - and it's a recipe that I'm not even sure where to begin to try to replicate.

In the meantime, I'm going to make Spicy Thai noodles.  Authentic Thai food?  Probably not.  But they taste delicious and until I can get back to Kansas City and my beloved Thai Place, this will have to do.

  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger*
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon garlic chili paste
  • 1 ½ teaspoons salt
  • 1 pound angel hair pasta
  • 12 green onions, thinly sliced
  • ½ cup peanuts
  • ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat.  Add ginger and garlic; sauté 1 minute.  Transfer to large bowl.  Add next 6 ingredients; whisk to blend.  Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, stirring occasionally.  Drain and rinse under cold water until cool.  Drain thoroughly and transfer to bowl with sauce.  Add sliced green onions and toss to coat noodles.  Let stand at room temperature until noodles have absorbed dressing, tossing occasionally, about 1 hour.  Stir in peanuts and basil; toss again.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve at room temperature.

* Sometimes I add a little more.  I love fresh ginger.
**Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit, July 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment