Friday, October 14, 2011

Bedell State Park {Fall}

I had originally thought to title this blog post "Fall in the park," but as I was re-reading it, I thought...this could go one of two ways for the reader: either a) fall as in the season (which is what I intended) or b) fall as in the action (which did not happen while we were there).  This titling business is requiring too much thought for a Friday morning and, to be honest, I want to ignore the housework and packing that needs to be done while Finn is napping and instead, watch an episode of Weeds, so I'd best get on with this.


Uriah and I took Finn on a lovely fall walk through the Elinor Bedell State Park that is here in Spirit Lake.  It was more of a leisurely stroll, because I stopped every 12 inches to take a picture.  I thought it was beautiful here in the summer, but fall is quickly becoming my favorite time...the leaves were amazing colors and the branches against the blue sky made for some great contrast.  The wide open fields gave harvest gold a tangible color and it really does feel as if you are in the middle of nowhere and those rolling acres will just go on and on until they meet up with the ocean.


I saw on Pinterest that someone had collected some beautiful leaves at the height of their color, dipped them in wax to preserve them and hung them in their window.  I wanted to do that, but the leaves in the park were so dry from the lack of rain we've had this fall that by the time they were on the ground they were too brown and dusty to pick up for my project.  They made for good leaf crunching, though, until Uriah told me to pick up my feet and walk faster.  Sometimes he is such a party pooper.


The park also has a play area, so after we wound our way through the trails, we let Finn run around and play on all of the equipment.  The slide held his interest for about a minute and swinging was good, too, but the motorcycle on a spring held his attention the longest.  He kept going back to that red motorcycle and standing next to it, waiting for one of us to pick him up and put him on so he could rock.  I shouldn't be surprised, he loves it when he sees motorcycles on the street and will stop what he's doing to watch them drive by.


There was also a double airplane on a spring (what are these things called?  Do they have a name?).  Uriah was not a party pooper when he hopped on the plane with Finn.  He even let Finn be the captain, although I think Uriah really wanted to be in the front!


I'll leave you this Friday morning with my two favorites from our trip to the park.  I rarely get pictures of me and my best boy...mostly because I'm usually the one behind the camera, but Uriah took over for a little bit and let me run around with Finn and play on the motorcycle and the swings.

Happy weekend, my friends!  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment