Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thankfuls


For the life of me, I can't figure out how this boy can be two completely different people.  

One day I look at him and he is the spitting image of his dad and I wonder if he really has a mom at all or if I just imagined the whole 9 months and giving birth and stuff..  And then, I see a picture like this and I know exactly who his mom is because he looks exactly like me.

Anyway, I'm a little behind on my thankfuls this year, I usually do it in Novmeber, but here is my list anyway, and in no particular order, except, I suppose, the three at the top.

I'm thankful for...
  • Uriah.  All day, every day.
  • Finneaus:  For being happy in the morning.  For loving books.  For the way he says "meow."  For just generally making my throat choke up on a daily basis because my cup runneth over.  For being my best boy.
  • Abby: For keeping me on my toes.  For teaching me that yes, girls this age are very annoying, but also very helpful.  For not getting into too much mischief.  For loving her brother, and loving on him, sometimes to to the point of distraction.  For singing.  For trying to do her best every day - and for coming home with really good grades. 
  • Family.  Family.  Family.
  • For moving to a small town that, 7 months later, is starting to feel more and more like home.
  • Sisters.  And sisters-in-law.  A girl can't have too many fun, positive females surrounding her.
  • For a little bit of back pain - it forces me to exercise.
  • For being close enough to my parents house that a weekend trip does not require time off from work.
  • For having jobs in a sucky economy.  We are lucky.
  • For the will power to make changes that are hard, but benefit our family as a whole in the long run.
  • Daniel - and every single soldier and military family.  Their sacrifice keeps me and mine safe.
  • The library.  Oh, the smell of books makes me so happy.
  • That feeling I get when Finn hands me a book and then climbs into my lap giggling because he loves them so much.
  • Wagons.  And parks within walking distance.
  • For being able to provide for my kids; knowing they go to bed each night with full bellies and underneath warm covers. And that even though they may not wear the latest styles (side eye to Abby and her Miss Me jean fetish) they're clean and warm and that's better than a lot of families in this world.
  • Imaginations.
  • For being healthy - no stitches, no ER visits, no broken bones - so truly lucky with this one!
  • For the bike trails that surround our community.
So as December turns into slippery streets and crowded shopping malls, lists and parties and baking and wrapping, as I start to get overwhelmed with everything going on, I can look at this list and see how simple it all is - it's not about the presents or the decorating or the baking.  It's about being thankful for what sits around the table with me every single night.

No comments:

Post a Comment