Thursday, May 24, 2012

What I've been up to...


The warm weather and sultry humidity levels have disappeared and have left in their place grey skies, rain, and distant thunder.  Or course, only after Abby complained for days that she was so hot in her room (I refuse to turn on the air before June.) and needed a fan at the earliest possible convenience or she might just expire from the heat (I might point out that while she was complaining about being so hot yesterday, she was wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt.  I suggested she try putting on something a little bit more weather-appropriate like a pair of shorts.  She looked at me like I was crazy and told me that her outfit was fine.  Where is the logic?!).  I no sooner brought home a hot pink fan for her window than the rain started.  Figures.


I went through Finn's baby clothes this week.  I sifted and sorted and smelled them.  They still smell faintly of baby and formula and softness and delight.  Teeny tiny socks and blue and yellow onesies.  Soft jammies and blankets.  Little hooded jackets and pants that look incredibly small next to his long legs.  Am I a little sad to be getting rid of some of this stuff?  Yes - I almost cried when I opened those totes and stuck my hands into their fluffy insides.  But I've saved the most special items (like the Yoda onesie and the his first plaid shorts, his coming home outfit and the corduroy pants that Uriah bought for him.) and I know that someone else's baby will look so cute in his little money suits. But it still makes me sad that my baby isn't much of a baby anymore.  His toys are bigger.  His voice is bigger.  And his hugs are bigger, too, which I would not trade for a million little onesies.


My flowers are starting to pop - slowly.  After this rain, give me one good, sunny day and they'll be bursting all over the place.  I can't wait.  It makes me want to plant more and I really was wishing for a garden this summer, but I guess I'll set my sights on a garden for next summer.  In the meantime, I have a basil plant and a rosemary plant and those two will keep my green thumb happy.

I'm very much looking forward to my garage sale this weekend.  Not only because my mom and my brother and his best girl are coming (I love company - it's an excuse to cook big and I have been planning for days - lemon ice cream, slow-roasted jerk pork, strawberry-rhubarb crisp with homemade granola, brioche french toast...) but also because it's time to slough off some of the excess that has been moved multiple times and not looked at.  I need to feel a little bit lighter in the material good aspect of our lives, and this is the best way to do that.  I only want things in my house that have a purpose, things that I use.  And I'm not bringing anything new into this house (read: new sofa, new dinnerware) until we've successfully removed all of the things we have now and don't use.  Someone else can put some of these things to good use, I'm sure.

I'm off to the garage to organize and sticker...see you later, alligators!

3 comments:

  1. Love the fan - good luck with the tweenager. As a friend of mine just said - "When kids are little and cranky, you can give them a nap to fix it (usually). When they get holder, naps don't help hormones." Good luck mama!!

    As for the garage sale - have fun with your fam. I have BOXES and BOXES I have to deal with. Currently I am just closing the door to those rooms...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers! Last winter, my rosemary survived on the back deck in a planter! I may plant it in the ground this summer, because the winter will undoubtedly be colder after the mildness of this one. I have tomatoes, one pepper, and sage and mint, all in pots, too. The raspberries are going in the ground tomorrow. I, too, wanted a full garden, but . . . next summer! I wish my humidity would pass away, too. It is 6% in Arizona, where I lived most of my life, and I'm wondering today why I'm not there! The fan is a wonderful color. You can't logic a teen. Remember when we couldn't understand our parents' ideas of logic? LOL Now I see yours so perfectly!

    cq4fun.livejournal.com for 52 photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post - especially the part about his big hugs and not trading them in. Written so perfectly. I love having company too. Your menu sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete