Monday, October 8, 2012

On my mind today...


  • I made cider doughnuts for my small humans last weekend - small circles and hearts of appley goodness on a chilly Friday morning.  
  • They were tasty and a bit reminiscent of fall in Kansas City - a place where temperatures still get downright warm in the afternoons and the sun shines more than it doesn't.
  • Will-power became my middle name, but I managed.  One tasty doughnut dipped in hot coffee got me through the morning.  Finn, on the other hand, was a sticky-cinnamon-sugary mess, and he kept trying to sneak more little doughnut holes when I wasn't looking.
  • You can go here to make them if you'd like, but I forewarn, the dough is really sticky and not that easy to work with.  I added extra flour to mine.  Regardless, I'll probably still make them again.
  • We walked by the lake this morning and Finn yelled: "Want to RUN!"  Apparently he likes a quicker jaunt on these chilly mornings.  I obliged.
  • The waves were high and loud on the break wall, so I kept him in his stroller and we passed the time counting the dogs we saw on the trail.
  • Our bathtub faucet is leaking.  Downside: I think we need to call a plumber.  Silver lining: I've been using the extra water to give my houseplants a drink.
  • I've decided to suck it up and drive into the Big City once a week for an actual WW meeting - and I'm going to stay for the whole thing, not just weigh in.
  • Finn will need lots of books and coloring crayons to get through.
  • Maybe I can bribe him with hot chocolate if he's a good boy...or a trip to Target.
  • Abby's almost done with volleyball, I think she has one more home game.  My goal is to bring the camera and get some pictures.  I haven't yet this year.  Slacking, I know.
  • I planted my tulips and hyacinth bulbs last week.  I check daily to make sure the squirrels haven't dug them up and eaten them. 
  • This week, Finn and I are doing this turkey art project.  I just need to get some new paints...last week we painted fall trees with leaves that are hot pink, purple and blue.  I think they're hippy trees, but that was all I had for paints.  Luckily we have to go into the Big City anyway, so I guess a stop at Michael's Craft is in order!
  • And then it will be time to work on raking our leaves.  But today it's supposed to rain, so I think I'll curl up with my book instead.

4 comments:

  1. Well done on the running. Before you know it, it will be your voice (not Finn's) that you hear. :)

    A trip to Taget works wonders! Enjoy the art project and the leaves. I stopped at Michael's for some crafty type stuff myself. Now we'll see if I actually get to the project...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Those look so delicious! Love the heart in them too :) Nice shots!

    Stopping by from You Capture
    http://www.noordinaryhomestead.com/shapes-you-capture/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cider doughnuts sound so good right now.

    Reading a book instead of raking leaves sounds like a good plan - what are you reading?! I just started Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.

    ReplyDelete