Monday, January 7, 2013

I am trying.


I had great plans for the new year...you know, now that we're all of 7 days into it and I've done nothing on my list of resolutions. I wanted to start this year off with a new direction, to get up earlier and enjoy some quiet me-time before the rest of the world wakes up. That always sounds so nice to me, but I struggle with the actual getting up part. I want to write more, oh, to write more. But I feel more exhausted than ever, and I feel like I'm having to cheer-lead myself through the day with a set of soggy pom-poms (although I noticed this evening that finally, finally the sun seemed to be out a little bit longer before sinking into the earth in a blaze of pink and orange).

What is it about winter that leaves me feeling like I'm neglecting me? And in turn, I feel like I'm neglecting everyone around me (no need to call social services, Finn is fine; I feed him three times a day and he's well on his way to being potty-trained, in fact. Abby's very self-involved these days, so since there haven't been any major or minor melt-downs recently, I'm going to assume she's good). I just want to wear warm mittens and stay under my covers and read very long, very involved novels while drinking tea and eating tons of cookies. The mittens seem counter-productive to staying under the covers and turning pages in a book, but they're cozy, so I'll go with it.

Anyway, all this to say that I will try to be better at visiting this little blog of mine.  And doing some writing while I'm here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am in the same boat as you. I think I'm having hard time because it's January and it is dark and it is cold and gray.

    I used to want to get up early and have some quiet time but I have decided that getting up when the kids get up is good enough. I grab a minute or two here and there to breath deeply and call it good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the lack of sunshine, I swear it is. When I lived in the sunny southwest, I had so much more energy. Here in the land of clouds, it doesn't seem worth getting up when it's just another cloudy, with or without rain, day.

    ReplyDelete