Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The healing power of chicken noodle soup.

Here I am...two days in a row!  Amazing.

Today Finn and I both slept in until 9 am.  We needed it.  Yesterday evening tried everyone's patience as a result of no afternoon nap combined with some sort of mutant head cold running rampant through our house (so far only Finn and I have had it; fingers crossed Uriah and Abby stay healthy.).  I feel as though his bad behavior on those evenings is partially my fault; by not ensuring that he gets his nap, I know I'm just setting him up for failure later on when the exhaustion sets in.

And boy does he fail in spectacular fashion when he is tired!

By the time bath/bed/stories came around my nerves were frazzled so Uriah stepped in and took care of the entire routine - with the patience that can sometimes only come when you've been away from the tired/cranky/sickly baby all day long.  And this morning, when he got up for work, I don't think Finn or I even moved.  Usually when Uriah gets up in the morning, if Finn is in bed with us (12 days out of 11 - I know, I know...trust me, we're working on this co-sleeping debacle.) he's just awake and ready to start his day, trying to peel my eyelids up and listing all of the things he'd like for breakfast.  This morning he stretched his baby body over the open space in the bed and continued to snore.  Thank God.

When we finally got out of bed, I felt rested and as though I finally had some energy to accomplish some of my to-do list today.  In an effort to rid our house of the yucky germs, I stripped beds and washed sheets and blankets.  I sorted all of the laundry from the weekend (how in the heck do we get so much?  We were only gone for 3 days and I even did laundry before we left!).  The biggest accomplishment of the day, though, was the big big pot of chicken and noodles that I put on the stove for dinner tonight.  I wish this blog had a smell ap; my house smells like it is about to be healed in the most amazing way.

This week I'm going to share a few of my favorite soup recipes because, well, it's winter and everyone is cold and sick (what do you mean it's just my house?).  I wrote about making home made stock here and then freezing it to use later, but today I simmered fresh chicken stock with the bones of a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.   Yesterday was a super exhausting/sick day, and all I could muster was some already cooked chicken and cottage cheese for lunch for Finn and me; the rest of that chicken inspired tonight's dinner, though!  I took the meat off of the bones, added a couple of garlic cloves, a couple stalks of celery and an onion (no carrots to be had in my house today, but you could add that if you had it) covered the whole thing with water and left it to simmer on low.  I strained the bones and vegetables from the broth and then added all the goodies from the list below.  The great thing about chicken noodle soup is that you can tailor it so easily to what your family will eat.  I've started adding kale to my soups, and sometimes fresh spinach.  If I have a squash or a zucchini on hand, I'll add that and if I want a little bit of extra texture, I might add a potato.  Today I'm going for the basics - just chicken, veggies and noodles - and I'm going to make some biscuits and a side salad to go along with it.

Let the healing begin!

{ Simmering stock }
Chicken Noodle Soup

6 cups home made chicken stock
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn, beans - or if you have them fresh, use that)
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup egg noodles, uncooked
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped

Bring the stock to a low simmer.  Add the vegetables and simmer until cooked through and softened.  Bring soup to a boil and add the noodles.  Cook until noodles are desired texture (7-9 minutes).  Turn soup down to a low simmer and add the chicken.  Simmer just until chicken is warmed through.


Other soups to try: Karen's Crock Pot Soup | Ham & Pot Liquor Soup or Vegetable Barley Soup (add some kale to the vegetable barely - makes a healthy world of difference!)

No comments:

Post a Comment