Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday with Finn

I got busy, y'all.

I did absolutely nothing on my list of things to do this week like laundry and vacuuming and dusting (dang, do I really need to dust!).  Instead, I spent my Tuesday off breathing deeply after being in the Combat Zone and self-medicating by putting Finn in weird positions and taking pictures of his face.  I would have liked to self-medicate in the traditional-let's-shake-a-martini way, but I refrained considering there were approximately 9 hours before an acceptable happy hour time.  And it was Tuesday...seems like that might be asking for a trip to visit Betty Ford.


This week has started off what seems like an exceptionally drool-y period in Finn's life.  I like it when he drools...not so much when it happens on my clothes in the morning as we're getting ready to head out the door, but usually his little drool bubbles are cute.  Except, I guess it's not so cute that his little drool bubbles have left his chin kind of chapped and red looking and I have to put lotion on it and make sure that I'm constantly wiping his drool away for his little red chin.  But other than that his drool is cute.  Although, I guess it's really not that cute that I have to keep a bib on him pretty much all the time so that he doesn't have drool on his shirt resulting in a permanent wet spot.  But other than that, his drool is pretty cute.

Wednesday rolled around and Wednesday is Sad Day because by the time I get home from work I barely have enough time to play with Finn before it's time for bath/bottle/snuggle time.  And then two short hours after I've walked through the door, he's spread out in his crib and I've barely gotten a chance to get my fill of this:

My BFF Rachel (who is technically Uriah's BFF, but I have claimed her for Poland) came over to play on Wednesday night.  She was having a tough day dealing with stupid people, and since I can relate to that on occasion, I told her to come on over and squeeze on Finn.  He's good for that.  It's nice to have a place to go to escape for a bit, and I like it when I can provide that service, makes me feel useful to the greater good.  She stayed late and Uriah woke up with a headache on Thursday morning...such is the way of things when Rachel comes over (no complaints from me - I wish she lived closer, because 20 minutes is just too far!!).  But visiting with Rachel meant that I sacrificed another night of writing.  And working out did not happen either.



Thursday came and went with amazing speed.  I got the baby from daycare because Uriah had some work stuff going on and wasn't going to be home until late.  Abby was up the road playing with some new found school chums when Finn and I got home, leaving a hastily scrawled note in her wake stating that she would try to be home around six.  We had a discussion about "trying" - there is no "trying" there is only "doing."  I am grateful that she has a new group of friends to play with, though, since her friend across the street doesn't always get to play outside after school.  Before I knew it, I'd made dinner (the most amazing chicken pot-pie I have ever experienced in my whole life.  I'm half tempted to go home tonight and make it again because it is truly all I can think about today), I'd finished a online survey (which took a hour and 15 minutes!  But it was paid, so I sucked it up and put in the time), played with the baby a bit, fed my family, bathed the boy, fed him, snuggled him and put him to bed.  Uriah and I watched our story, The Mentalist.  And another night of not writing.  And not working out.  And basically sucking as a human who sets goals for herself, but can't be bothered to keep them!

So...today is Friday and it's a Finn day.  He made footprint artwork at daycare (his first art project), and we got proofs for his school pictures back (totally the funniest, fattest looking kiddo ever!), and yesterday I got a text picture from his daycare teacher of him sitting in his little chair reading Clifford the Big Red Dog...he was holding the book himself and looking at the pictures and he just looked so content and happy to be hanging out reading...the apple did not fall far, I guess.

And I sat in my little corner at work and looked at that tiny picture on my phone of my boy and his books and willed myself not to cry.  I reminded myself, as I do daily, that I am lucky to have a job in these tough economic times.  I am lucky to have a healthy, happy baby.  I am lucky that I get to squeeze on him and smother him with kisses.  I am lucky that I can hear the gurgling noises he's started making and I am so lucky that he recognizes me and smiles the biggest, toothless smile just for me. 

Lucky me...

1 comment:

  1. Alright from now on I will not be the reason of not working out when I am visiting. I will make sure that I grab my walking shoes and we will wrap up my baby and go for a walk...with cocktails in hand! Best of both worlds that way! Rachel

    ReplyDelete