Friday, January 14, 2011

Half a year, already!

 

Last night I was giving Finn a bath; he was splish-splashing his chubby baby legs and displacing lots of water.  I had my hair in a pony-tail on top of my head and I guess every time I moved my head, my pony tail would bob, which Finn found wildly hilarious.  So there we were, a couple of nerds in the bathroom, me shaking my head and Finn laughing a big, toothless belly laugh and kicking his legs as hard as he could.

One minute I was laughing right along with him and the next I was crying into the baby bathwater.

My baby, my little tiny boy (who I knew was a boy from the very, very beginning, thank you very much!) isn't actually a little tiny boy, anymore.  He's been alive for a whole half a year (or maybe more accurately: we've kept him alive for a whole half a year!).  And he's accomplished a lot, already, as evidenced here and here and here.   But six months...I really just wasn't prepared for how quickly time has gone already.  Nobody prepared me for the speed at which time is flying.

  • We didn't drop him. 
  • We didn't smoosh him (well, maybe we've smooshed him with hugs and kisses!)
  • He's gaining weight like a champ (18 lbs!).
  • We managed to take him from formula to rice cereal...and he makes chewing movements with his mouth when we eat.  Next up - veggies!
  • He doesn't have any teeth through yet, but they are coming. 
  • He can almost sit up on his own.  He's really close and he can do it in the tub.
  • When we lay him on his back, he immediately flips over onto his tummy (but he can't get from his tummy to his back.).
  • He found his voice...his screaming voice, that is.  And it's not when he's angry (he almost never is, unless we have to suck snot out of his nose) he just likes to hear himself scream.
  • He laughs.  A really big baby belly laugh.
  • He has duck fuzz hair - and it's turning blond!
  • He's on the verge of saying "Mama" (seriously.).
I know that I will probably cry at all of his milestones.  I know that in 6 months I will lament how fast a year has gone...and then six years....and then a decade...and then his college graduation....I am his mama.  That is my job.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment