Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Just so you know, I'm still alive.

{Abby & Finn | 1.11.11}
Here I am!  Here I am!

I have not been sucked into a pit of molten quick-sand lava with my trusted pet pig.  I have not been shipped to the moon to collect samples of space rocks.  And I most certainly have not been a back-up dancer for Justin Bieber.

I have, however, been sick.  So sick that I did not go to work on Monday.   I take that back...I tried to go to work on Monday.  I had good intentions of getting some stuff cleaned off my desk before I retired back home to my bed and my yoga pants and my Gypsy Cold Care.  I even took a shower and packed the baby up into the car in the snow and everything.

And anyway, did I forget to mention that there was this snowstorm?  On Sunday night and Monday.  And it's the first snow that the dirty, dirty South has seen this winter and it really was too much for our 1 snowplow to handle. 

So.  Here was little 'ol me...used to driving in the snow but not used to driving in the snow and slush and overall grody-ness that the roads become this time of year.  And did I forget to mention that school was canceled?  It was.  Abby waved to us from the toasty confines of the living room.  Still in her pajamas.  Watching Good Morning America.  The tears and snot froze to my face.

So.  Here was little 'ol me and little mini-me in the car and there are only 6 miles between my house and Finn's daycare and it took me one entire hour to get there.  Where I promptly called work from the parking lot, turned around and drove back to the safety and healing powers of home (it took me less time to get home, only about 30 minutes - mostly because I saw our only snow plow ahead of me.).  I proceeded to hunker down in my yogas with my tea and allow my husband to take care of my kids while I watched the snow fall and my sinuses drain.

Yesterday was another snow day, and we filled the day with baking bread (Mama), learning to scream (Finn) and watching Harry Potter (Abby).  We went outside for about 5 minutes to enjoy the snow and a little fresh air (much to Uriah's chagrin.  Apparently, taking a 6-month old outside for less time than it takes to bundle him up is grounds for Poor Parent of the Year Award.  Winner.)

And today?  You guessed it...another snow day for the kiddos due to the bitter cold (sub-zero temperatures, anyone?).  Finn, however, was more than happy to get to daycare today; he barely spared me a smile when I left him.  Abs is home with a list of chores and she'll have a pop-quiz on Little Women when I get home (apparently, I also have to pseudo-home school my kid to make sure she's continually challenged - another story for another time.).  Finn is playing with his pals.  And I'm back at work.

If you can't find me, just follow the sound of the coughing under the papers on my desk.  I may be here until the snow melts...

No comments:

Post a Comment