Tuesday, April 12, 2011

On my mind this evening...

{fresh tomato & mozzarella tart | 4.03.11}
I've been going through my old magazines...Bon Appetit, mostly, but some Better Homes and Gardens, Food Network Magazine and Taste of Home, as well.  I don't want to move a stack of magazines again, so I'm pulling out the recipes that strike my fancy and the kitchen ideas that I want to incorporate in my own home and the paint colors that I love. 

Today I've been thinking about all of the recipes that I want to try...when I get to my new house and get settled.  Recipes that I hope will help me to get to know my new kitchen, my new farmer's market and my new town.

  • Naan and Indian Tandoori Chicken  (grilled bread...I can't wait to try that!  And the chicken is marinated in a spicy yogurt sauce before it's grilled, too.)
  • Moist Lemon Cake (with lemon butter cream frosting - it sounds like spring and I plan to have it with tea for breakfast.)
  • Seven-Layer Gratin (with zucchini, squash, artichokes and two different cheeses.)
  • Roasted Halibut with Green Olive Sauce (I love halibut, but I always grill it or pan sear it.  I've never tried roasting it)
  • Fresh Strawberry Bars (peanutbutter, strawberry jam and fresh strawberries...sounds like a grown up pb&j...too bad Uriah doesn't like peanutbutter.  More for me, I guess!)
  • Gingered Beef & Broccoli Salad Bowl (stir-fry salad instead of noodles or rice...look at me finding some healthy alternatives!)
  • North Carolina-style Pulled Pork Sandwiches (Uriah has a recipe for homemade bread that makes the most fantastic little sandwich rolls.  I think they will be perfect for this pork.)
  • Sweet Potato Sticky Buns  (okay, not really a healthy alternative, but I'm intrigued by the sweet potato aspect of this recipe)
  • Ginger Thai Sweet Potato Bisque (summer soups are hard to find; this might be a lighter, cooler alternative for a rainy day)
  • Spicy Hoisin Salmon  (I think I am going to grill this and serve it with a side of grilled asparagus)
  • Fresh Pea Soup (I wish I knew someone getting married or having a baby; I want to throw a shower and I think this would be a lovely starter)
  • Spring Green Riosotto  (full of spring vegetables like peas and asaparagus and leeks)
I'm a little sad because I have to pack up my kitchen.  I'm only leaving out the few things that I know we'll need for the next two weeks, which means I will be feeding my kids lots of scrambled eggs and grilled cheese.  Maybe if I fill them full of boring dinners like cereal and peanutbutter and jelly, they'll both be more open to the pea soup I'm going to make for them next month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment