Monday, August 1, 2011

This is life...

...and life can't always be a picnic.  Because then it's no longer a picnic.  It's lunch.


We are moved, somewhat, into our non-descript, probably built in 1980 not 1890, home. 

Don't get me wrong, it suits us okay.  We have a back yard again and doors that close tightly (This comes in super handy when you have a curious 1-year old, by the way.).  We have 3 large bedrooms and a large basement - and room to grow if we want to.  We are only 2 blocks from the park, instead of 8, an easy walk with the wagon.  Abby will only be a couple of blocks from school (which starts in 28 days!  Hooray!!).  I don't have to worry about Finn turning on the gas stove or Abby falling down the stairs (if only she would learn to pick up her feet)

But, character...that is lacking here.  No arched doorways or wood floors.  No claw-foot bathtub.  No large window that looks directly onto the bustle of the town.  No front porch sitting.  So we will infuse this house with our own character.  I am busy picking out some new pictures to have printed and to hang on the wall, the easiest way to add character to our space - and something that I didn't do in our other house because I knew - I just knew - that something wasn't quite right.  We ignored that feeling for as long as we could, but I guess sometimes it's best to listen to your gut after all.  Anyway, today my gut is saying: "New throw pillows!" so I'm going to sew some new pillows for the living room.  All of my plants are back from Kansas City, courtesy of my sister, and I have a container garden of herbs in my back yard that I transplanted from the first (second, technically?) house over the weekend.

And I am settling in - we are settling in - and looking forward to a little picnic soon.

1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute. Did you move into a different house from the first one you moved into in Iowa??

    ReplyDelete