Thursday, February 16, 2012

Asparagus & Chickpea Pasta

I seem to be on somewhat of a meatless kick.  I don't really know why, other than I know that a meal high in vegetables is going to fare better on my waist line these days.  Not that meat is bad - I love animals! - but all things in moderation and really, to forego meat once a week isn't a terrible thing.  Besides, there are lots of really good recipes that don't cluck or moo and I kind of like the challenge of finding them and then watching my family enjoy eating them (side eye to Uriah.).

Also, I think asparagus must be coming back into season because every single grocery store in our town (you know...both of them.) seems to have been running an asparagus special for the past two weeks.  I thought chickpeas might be a little weird, never having really ate them before that I know of, but they were actually really good - they gave it kind of a crunch.

If you've got a good meatless meal, I'd love for you to share!


  • ½ small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • ½ teaspoon each, salt and black pepper
  • 2 ounces roasted tomatoes
  • 8 ounces penne pasta
  • 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 6 ounces (about ¾ cup) fat-free cream cheese, softened
  • 1 teaspoon each, thyme, basil, oregano
  • ¼ to ½ cup pasta water

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and reserve ½ cup of pasta water.  Coat a sauce pan with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat.  Sauté onion and garlic until soft, then add asparagus.  Cook until asparagus is tender-crisp.  Add salt and pepper, stir to combine.  Add chickpeas, roasted tomatoes, and pasta.   Stir to combine.  In a small bowl, mix softened cream cheese and dried herbs.  Add to the pasta and stir to combine.  Add pasta water, ¼ at a time, to thin the cheese sauce.  Serve immediately.

Serves 6
Adapted from Family Circle, October 2008

4 comments:

  1. Black beans have become my new obesseion! They are inexpensive, full of fiber and protein, and you can make so many mexican style (meatless) meals with them. A new favorite is Santa Fe Beans and Rice http://www.food.com/recipe/santa-fe-beans-and-rice-151779 As all good cooks do, I tweaked mine. No olives (personal preference), used Greek yogurt for sour cream (it's awesome have you tried it?), and used brown rice instead of white. I didn't add the cheese in, but just on top. I did add about a cup of half ground beef/half ground turkey browned. But I'm sure it would be good either way! The brown rice gives it that "tooth" feel of meat a little bit. It was awesome as a dinner, would be very good as a dip with chips (yes this does work against the waste line :( ).

    Another favorite black bean recipe is just an app, but it's SO good (and very filling)
    1 can corn
    1 can black beans
    1 tom chopped (or red pepper, or both :) )
    3 Tbps lime juice
    2 Tbps balsamic
    3 Tbps (or so) chopped cilantro
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp onion powder

    chips to eat with

    Let it sit for an hour in the fridge to the let flavors come together. It will be hard if you taste it right away. It's so good!
    Here's the original http://www.mylifeasamrs.com/2011/05/corn-black-bean-salsa.html

    If you like black beans, I have a great WW Taco soup recipe that is so good!
    Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally going to have to try the Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the name of that dinnerware?!?Making me crazy that I can't remember it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor - it's Palermo. I really do need to replace it since I've had it forever, but I love it so much and I have yet to find something that will take it's place!

    ReplyDelete