Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Antiques Malls & Flea Markets & Friends

My friend Bees came to visit last weekend.  She's a good Polish girl and she likes to drink, burp, and look at antiques.  All qualities I find admirable in a friend.  We talked about boys (the ones I live with and the ones she does not), healthcare, politics and religion.  We laughed at inside jokes.  She stayed an entire extra day (even though I was working) and showed my husband how to be The Hero (laundry was done, plants were re-potted, antiques were procured - all under the direct supervision of Bees.).  


I got a few random pieces of new dinnerware for less than half of what I'd pay for one place setting of Fiestaware, which is what I really, really want.  However, budgets being what they are, I'm limited these days.  At less than a dollar a piece for the plates (and a little bit more for the cups), I think I'll be scouring from now on for more pieces to add.  And I'll also be doing a little bit of research to find out more about this stuff.


I could have procured all of this bright and fun dinnerware (especially the yellow syrup jar! And there was a bright orange juice pitcher that I drooled over for 12 whole minutes.), but even I recognize that my kids need to eat something more substantial than cheerios three times a day.  I guess I need to save my pennies.  And have another garage sale.


Uriah threw up a little bit when I told him that I want this chair for our living room.  Since I sold our couch in the garage sale a few months ago, we've been surviving with Larry the Leather chair and the rocking chair from Finn's room.  Obviously we don't entertain  much at all because there's no place for anyone to sit.  Our living room looks pretty empty, but I haven't found a couch that I like, nor one that's in my budget (which is currently at $0, so you can see where finding a couch in that price range might prove to be a little difficult.).  This chair, however, has such great potential that I haven't been able to stop thinking about it for days.


I found these for both of my sisters who like Frankoma.  It never really was my thing, although I have fond memories of my mom making tuna hotdish on Friday nights in her green Frankoma covered casserole dish when I was growing up.  I think most of my mom's pieces have been permanently loaned to my sisters.

I needed a friend last weekend (even though I worked a lot and so Uriah played hostess in my absence, which I think he needed, too.) and Bees made me laugh and forget about life for awhile, which is easy to do when you're sorting through the detritus of dusty antiques malls and flea markets!

No comments:

Post a Comment