Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Orange Salad with Citrus Dressing



My aunt hosted the Paris in April themed bridal shower this past weekend and her menu was simple and amazing.  We agreed that half the fun of hosting a party is coming up with the menu - and the desserts.  The meal started with a simple Orange Salad with a tangy Citrus Dressing.  And crusty French baguettes from Panera.  I wanted to eat my weight in bread, but I held back.


Everything was bright and light to mimic springtime in Paris, and so elegant.  My grandmother's wedding china was at the main table, but the smaller side tables had these simple white plates and antique flatware.

The first thing I did when I got home was to make the Citrus Salad Dressing.  I'd been thinking about it the entire drive home.  It's kind of a tangy dressing, so the orange in the salad is necessary to balance it.  My lunch tomorrow is this salad with the addition of about 2 ounces of baked boneless, skinless chicken breast. Light, easy on the points and filling!  I think I'll have this dressing in my refrigerator all summer long.


  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best, but you can use bottled)
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • salt & pepper

Whisk all salad dressing ingredients together.  Set aside.  Shred 1 cup of red leaf lettuce (red leaf or spinach - not iceberg).  Section and chop 1 orange.  Chop up about 2 tablespoons walnuts.  Place lettuce on a plate, add oranges, chopped walnuts and toss with 1 tablespoon of salad dressing.  Refrigerate any unused salad dressing.

Salad dressing is about 10 servings of 1 tablespoon each.

1 comment: