Thursday, January 10, 2013

A meal doesn't always have to have meat. {Butternut Bisque}


Do not give up on soup (side eye to Sarah, who claims to not like soup, but whom I saw eat two bowls of this at our sister Emily's baby shower.  And I left the remaining soup at her house!).

What I like the most about soup is that stretches to become a couple of meals in this house.  I always make a big pot of it and then I eat on it for my lunches for the rest of the week.  They heat up quickly and for the most part help me stay well within my points allotment for the day.  In addition to one meal of soup a week (usually Sunday or Monday as per my new menu-planning), I'm also trying to get in one meatless meal a week.  I think it's good for us to venture into some different - even fish-less  - meals.  I hesitate to use vegetarian  because we all know how my husband reacts to a meal that includes no meat (not well...not well at all.).  This soup kills two birds with one stone - it is meatless and a soup.

And my husband ate it happily and requested that I make it again.  I think that's all the endorsement something that has no pig, cow, or bird in it needs.

Also - do you do a meatless night at your house?  What are some of your favorite recipes?


Butternut Bisque
(Serves 12)
Nutrition Facts per serving: 117 calories | 5.4 g fat | 2.6 g protein | 17.1 carbs | 2.8 g fiber | 3 WWP

  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • scant ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • coarse salt
  • 1 large butternut squash (about 4 lbs), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 4 cups chicken broth*
  • 1 cup half-and-half**
  • Sour cream for garnish

In a large stock pot, heat butter over medium heat.  Add onion, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, and cayenne to taste.  Season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes.

Add squash and broth.  Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until quash is tender, about 20 minutes.

Working in batches, puree in a blender until smooth (or use an immersion blender or if you don't want to pull out any gadgets, mash it with a potato masher in your soup pot).  Return to pot, stir in half-and-half and heat through until warm (do not boil).  Season with salt.  To serve, divide among bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon sour cream; garnish with additional cayenne if desired.

Adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food Light Cookbook, 2011

*Original recipe called for 1 can chicken stock and 3 cups water.  I usually have chicken stock on hand in my freezer, so I just used 4 cups of stock.
**Use fat free half-and-half for even healthier results.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good to me. I love soup. My favorite is broccoli cheese, or the cheddar potato that I make. I also love bean with bacon and a good chicken noodle ( I bookmarked yours...hoping to make it soon!) I have to admit though...buying a butternut squash, peeling it, seeding it and chopping it seems so scary. I'm a kitchen wimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise that it seems like more work than it really is. It's as easy to peel a butternut squash as it is to peel a potato (they have relatively thin skins!). Don't be a wimp - be a kitchen hero! : )

      Delete